Michelle Roos Goodrum has been working with The In-Depth Genealogist to take her many blog posts, articles, and research experience in land records to develop a guide and extensive case study. The book is chock full of step by step explanations and analysis of many documents and includes great resources. The chapters in this book are adapted compilations of the early “Timeless Territories” articles published at The In-Depth Genealogist, related writings from her personal blog, The Turning of Generations, along with new material and useful resources.
The Table of Contents include:
Quick Start: Top Ten Tips
1. Getting Started with Land Records Research
2. Using Deed Indexes and Deeds
3. Transcribing Documents: Quick Answers to Why and How
4. Understanding Extracts and Abstracts
5. What are Dower and Dowry?
6. Using the BLM in Your Research
7. Baffled by Legal Property Descriptions?
8. Let's Talk: State Land States
9. A Look at Cash Entry Files
10. Examining a Homestead File
11. Using Land Records to Solve Genealogical Problems
12. Cemetery Deeds: They're Land Records, Too
13. Three Reasons to Visit the Old Family Home
14. Google Earth: See the Past in the Present
15. Fun with Land and Property Records
Appendix A: Resources for Land Records Research
Appendix B: Township Grid
See the reviews on Amazon!